QuickBooks is a powerful and intuitive accounting tool that can be daunting for some users. The best way to prevent mistakes, waste time tracking down data or answer questions – like “how do I fix this?”- would have been an easy one-minute phone call.
Contact us with your QuickBooks questions. You will find comfort knowing that we will respond with a detailed solution to your problem or question, usually within 24 hours. You can also view our Tips for QuickBooks Users at the bottom of this page.
10 Reasons Why Your Business Needs QuickBooks
Are you finding it difficult to keep up with all your important business tasks? With a paperless accounting system, like QuickBooks, that data is right in front of us. Read on to learn why your business will benefit from QuickBooks.
- You save time on bookkeeping and paperwork because many simple bookkeeping tasks are handled automatically, making it easier to run your business.
- You can easily generate the reports with the information you need, so you always know where your business stands. You instantly know whether you’re making money and whether your business is healthy.
- You save money because QuickBooks is so affordable. You can use it to run a $5 million or a $25 million business for a few hundred bucks. Accounting software is truly one of the great bargains in business.
- Your business can grow with QuickBooks. QuickBooks will help you design a business plan to use when trying to secure a small business loan or line of credit or to plan. QuickBooks will create a projected balance sheet, profit and loss statement and statement of cash flows in the format recommended by the U.S. Small Business Administration.
- You can customize QuickBooks to work the way you want. QuickBooks is specifically designed to be flexible and adaptable to a wide range of small businesses. To broaden its appeal, QuickBooks has recently added customized accounting packages for contractors, retailers, health care professionals, and non-profit organizations.
- You can rest assured knowing that QuickBooks is a stable, reliable and proven product. Hundreds of thousands of small businesses throughout the world have chosen QuickBooks as their accounting software. You can’t go wrong with a software program with such an extensive installed user base.
- You save typing time and errors by sharing data between QuickBooks and over 100 business applications. You can even share data with popular programs, such as Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and ACT.
- You will get paid faster with QuickBooks online payments. E-mail an invoice or statement and with QuickBooks Online Billing, your customer can easily pay you with a credit card or bank account transfer. No more waiting for the check in the mail!
- You can easily accept credit cards. With QuickBooks Merchant Account Service, you can accept credit cards with ease. QuickBooks Merchant Account Service is the only credit card acceptance service integrated with QuickBooks software, which means you don’t have to enter the same data twice. No additional software or hardware is required. Your customers can use Visa, MasterCard, or American Express.
- You can pay your bills and handle your banking online. Setup your current bank account in QuickBooks, and you’re ready to pay your bills without licking envelopes, sticking stamps, or printing paper checks. Just write checks in QuickBooks as you normally would, then click a button and your participating bank does the rest! Pay anyone in the U.S. from your credit card companies to your pizza service. Online banking also lets you download your monthly statement from your participating bank directly into QuickBooks for easier reconciliation.
QuickBooks Set-up Services in Fredericksburg, VA
Rest easy and run your business while we work on setting up QuickBooks. Our set-up services include:
- Studying and evaluating your software and accounting needs.
- Recommending software and hardware requirements.
- Installing software, designing and setting up a chart of accounts and entire accounting package including payroll, accounts receivable, inventory, accounts payable, etc.
- Determination of your QuickBooks starting date.
- Loading your chart of account and balances as of that starting date.
- Preparation of a list of the items that you sell to your customers. This list includes services, inventory parts, non-inventory parts, other charges and sales taxes.
- Entering your outstanding accounts receivable and accounts payable details as of your starting date.
- Entering your ending statement bank balances and outstanding checks and deposits in transit as of your starting date.
- Printing a trial balance as of your starting date and comparing it to your trial balance from your old system.
- Entering your transactions since your starting date into QuickBooks
- Training client or client staff on use of the software to meet their accounting, management and tax needs.
QuickBooks Maintenance Services in Fredericksburg, VA
Whether you need to prepare for tax time, complete a financial review or just need to clean up some problem areas, our experts at Patriots Tax & Accounting Services in Fredericksburg, VA can help get you back on track.
In four hours, one of our QuickBooks Professional Advisors will help you clean up and organize your bookkeeping system which includes:
- Reviewing your transactions for the year
- Cleaning up stray entries
- Customizing reports
- Balancing general ledger to subsidiary records
- Additional personalized training
Call us today and schedule your QuickBooks Maintenance.
Tips for QuickBooks Users
Quickly Closing All Open QuickBooks Windows:
Click on Window on the menu bar, and then Close All
Using the History Button
The History button shows you all the transactions related to the one you are currently viewing. Click on the History button to see transaction details.
Type The Key Shown In The Date Field To Automatically Populate A Date
T = today’s date
M = First day of the month you are working in
H = Last day of the month you are working in
Y = First day of the year
R = Last day of the year
+ = Move the date forward by one day
– = Move the date backward by one day
Chart of Accounts
CTRL+A brings up the Chart of Accounts immediately
Closing QuickBooks Shortcut
ALT+F4 closes QuickBooks software
When working in a register, you can use the = to bring up the calculator when adding or subtracting from an account
Memorized Transaction Shortcut
CTRL+T will bring up your Memorized Transaction list immediately
For more tips view the QuickBooks Tips & Tricks Guide.
Backing Up QuickBooks Data
- Click on File
- Click Back Up
- Complete the location where the file will be backed up (i.e. floppy disk in A: or other disk)
- Click the Back Up button
Quick Access To Recently Used Files
Use the Open Previous Company option found on the File menu
Customize the Settings on Your QuickBooks Desktop
- Desktop View
Turning on the Reminders Feature When Opening a Company Profile
- Click on Edit
- Click on Preference
- Click the picture of Reminders from the list that appears
- Make sure a check mark is in the box marked “Show Reminders list when opening a company file”
- Click the OK button
Password Protect QuickBooks
Click on Company in the menu bar, then Set Up Users. From here, you can assign a password for the main (Administrator) account in QuickBooks. You can also set up user accounts, passwords, and different levels of access if you have multiple people using your QuickBooks file.
For more help on getting started, visit the QuickBooks Getting Started Support Page.